The Meters: Gettin’ Funkier All The Time – The Complete Josie / Reprise & Warner Recordings (1968-1977)
Label: Cherry Red Records
Releasedatum: 24 januari 2020
Among the most sampled groups of the 60s and 70s by a slew of top rap and hip-hop artists of the 90s and beyond (including 2 Pac, Ice-T, A Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy and Beastie Boys among others), the legendary New Orleans band and Grammy Lifetime Achievement awardees The Meters created an instantly recognizable sound through almost a decade of recording, initially for the Josie label and then for Reprise and Warner Brothers. Group members guitarist Leo Nocentelli, bassist George Porter Jr., drummer Joseph ‘Zigaboo’ Modeliste and keyboardist/singer Art Neville formed the core of the band, later augmented by Art’s younger brother, percussionist/singer Cyril who joined The Meters in 1975.
• With a superb, informative and extensive essay by renowned UK writer Charles Waring that includes quotes from Nocentelli, Porter and Cyril Neville from interviews conducted for the liner notes, first class mastering by Nick Robbins and stellar artwork by Roger Williams (featuring rare photos supplied by Warner Music), this wonderful 116-track, 6-CD SoulMusic Records’ box set (produced by SoulMusic.com’s David Nathan) showcases The Meters’ entire recorded output for Josie Records (1968-1971), Reprise and Warners Brothers (1972-77). In addition to their eight full albums (almost all consisting of original material by the group), this luxurious package (with a 40-page booklet) includes non-album singles, bonus material, single edits and a rare 1977 disco mix of ‘Disco Is The Thing Today’, available for the first time on CD.
• Disc One comprises an expanded edition of the group’s 1969 debut Josie LP, THE METERS (including the US charted singles, ‘Sophisticated Cissy’ and ‘Cissy Strut’ and bonus tracks, ‘The Look Of Love’ and ‘Soul Machine’) plus the entire follow-up album, 1970’s LOOK-KA PY PY.
• Disc Two is an expanded edition of 1970’s STRUTTIN,’ their third and final Josie LP (featuring the US hit, ‘Chicken Strut’) along with two bonus tracks, ‘Grass’ and ‘Borro’ and the ‘A’ and ‘B’ sides of three non-album US R&B-charted singles.
• Disc Three marks the start of The Meters’ association with Reprise Records and consists of an expanded edition of 1972’s CABBAGE ALLEY (with the ‘A’ and ‘B’ sides of the single ‘Chug Chug Chug-A-Lug (Push And Shove)’ as bonus tracks); and the first six tracks from the 1974 LP, REJUVENATION including the classic ‘Hey Pocky A-Way’ and funk’n’groove favourite, ‘Just Kissed My Baby’.
• Disc Four kicks off with the remaining three tracks from REJUVENATION plus an expanded edition of the group’s best-selling Reprise album 1975’s FIRE ON THE BAYOU (with four bonus cuts).
• Disc Five features an expanded edition of the 1976 set TRICK BAG (with five additional tracks including versions of The Beatles’ ‘Come Together’, Neil Young’s ‘Down By The River’ and Stephen Stills’ ‘Love The One You’re With’)
• Disc Six concludes the box set with the group’s sole Warner Brothers’ album, 1977’s NEW DIRECTIONS, rounding out with edits of various tracks including the single versions of charted hits, ‘Hey Pocky A-Way’, ‘People Say’ and ‘Be My Lady’ plus the long version of ‘Running Fast’.