Lukas Nelson & Promise Of The Real – Naked Garden
Format: CD – Vinyl – Digital
Releasedatum: 27 maart 2020
The new album from Lukas Nelson & The Promise Of The Real is out now. The 15-track body of work features unreleased songs and alternate cuts that came out of sessions at Shangri-La and Village Studios.
Lukas Nelson knows all about legacies, indeed he’s been hard at work carving his own for most of his young but extremely eventful life. Balancing his work as the front man of Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real — an emergent and vital force in American music — with his regular gig as Neil Young’s band leader and lead guitarist — and of course, the never-ending road alongside his father in Willie Nelson & Family — in song after song, on stage after stage, Lukas has sharpened the edges of his singular sound, one that nods to his influences while also pushing forward into uncharted territory.
When we walked out of Shangri-La recording studio on the sixth day, we knew we had captured something special. The process had been simple: we would gather around a coffee table on the lawn, Lukas would present a new song on an acoustic guitar, and then we’d go inside and roll tape. The atmosphere was joyful and mellow, yet intensely productive—we rarely spent more than two takes on a song before moving on to the next one. It was so productive, in fact, that there was simply no way to fit all the material on one release. So think of this project as something of an epilogue to our previous album, Turn Off The News (Build A Garden). Some of these tracks are alternate performances of songs from that record. Others, like “Bad Case”, appear in their early developmental stages. But the majority of this album comprises songs that, for one reason or another, didn’t make the final cut, and yet were just too special to keep to ourselves.
Some strings are out of tune. Some lyrics are inconsistent. There’s microphone bleed, tape machine buzz, conversations and laughter between takes… that’s how we like it. Our hope is that Naked Garden offers a glimpse behind the curtain, at POTR in our most raw, honest, and naked state. For our band’s name is truly our mantra, and if nothing else, this project is an attempt to make good on our promise.
01. Entirely Different Stars
02. Civilized Hell (Alternate Version)
03. Back When I Cared
04. Movie in My Mind
05. Focus on the Music
06. My Own Wave
07. Fade to Black
08. Out in L.A. (Extended Version)
09. Couldn’t Break Your Heart
10. Speak the Truth
11. Civilized Hell (Acoustic Version)
12. Bad Case (Alternate Version)
13. Stars Made of You (Alternate Version)
14. Where Does Love Go (Alternate Version)
15. The Way You Say Goodbye (Alternate Version)
Website: Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real
• 2xLP test pressing of Naked Garden – signed by the band. Each copy will also be housed in a brown cardboard jacket, stamped by hand with album info, and numbered. Only 50 sets of test pressings will be sold for the world.
• Naked Garden America marble 180g vinyl, gatefold 2xLP. The America marble 180g 2xLP vinyl edition, which is clear vinyl marbled with red, white, and blue, is strictly limited to 350 units, and exclusive to lukasnelson.com
• TWO merch offerings EXCLUSIVE to the test pressing bundle!
• South Austin Gallery Ceramic Coasters (two) – 4”x4” ceramic tile with cork backing, handmade in Austin, Texas, featuring the artwork of TURN OFF THE NEWS and NAKED GARDEN
• Maroon cuffed, Yuppong brand 12” acrylic knit cap with 100% embroidered “Lukas Nelson & Promise Of The Real” logo
• Album download: Naked Garden download delivered on March 27 (+ instant grats)
• Expected bundle order arrival date: June 26