Malaya Blue – Blue Credentials
Malaya Blue – Blue Credentials
Label: Blue Heart Records
Release date: October 21, 2022
‘Blue Credentials,’ the new Malaya Blue album, is the follow up to the critically acclaimed ‘Still,’ and as the title suggests finds the outstanding UK vocalist delving ever deeper into her blues heart.
It’s certainly her most guitar driven album to date. The fruitful collaboration with legendary blues writer and producer Dennis Walker (R.I.P.) is again at its core but this time with a world class band in the studio and writing contributions from Joey Delgado, Hank Linderman and Brett Lucas.
The long lost, and some said mythical, John Campbell track, “Howlin’ Mercy,” finally sees the light of day 30 plus years after Dennis wrote it and Elektra chickened out of releasing it.
Malaya doesn’t shirk from the heavy dark content, showing her increasing maturity as an artist of the highest order. Richard Cousins, Brett Lucas, John McCullough and Sam Kelly gathered from around the globe to lend their talents and experience and Malaya recorded every vocal live with the band, no overdubs or studio trickery. Sadly, Dennis passed to the great juke joint in the sky, but not before he had heard what would prove to be the last record he was involved with and gave it a big seal of approval. The bar has been well and truly raised.
TRACK COMMENTARY FROM MALAYA BLUE:
01. Your Act Has Worn Thin (2:56) – Letting that lover know enough is enough, you’re done and won’t be a fool to love any longer.
02. Wrong Kinda Love (3:40) – Yes! Doing it again, picking the wrong lover and the wrong time again! Funky rocky track.
03. Oh, What A Fool (3:50) – The thrill of finding new love and the happiness to be a fool in itspresence. Sexy, jazzy, ballad.
04. I Can’t Find No Love (4:47) – The emptiness that occurs when the love leaves the relationship, and although it hasn’t been said, you know it is gone. A ballad to release the tears.
05. The Time We Had (6:11) – Acknowledging the past and the present, the movement of life, the value of now and celebrating the good times in loss. A moving ballad.
06. Curious (3:12) – The expectations in love that another brings! I’m Curious, What did YOU think love was about? Funky Up-tempo track.
07. I’m Having Dreams Again (3:40) – Just when you think you are over that lover, they pop back into you head and heart through your dreams and the pain comes with it. A wistful mid-tempo track.
08. Good Intentions, Bad Results (5:29) – Ahhh, how we try, all the best intentions but falling flat on our face! A funky up-tempo track for that moment of realisation!
09. Bring Me Your Sin (4:02) – Wanting the love of a bad man and being willing to pay the price! Rocky and mean…
10. Set Me Free (3:58) – The chains that keep us with a cold heart begs to be undone, dark and moody rock track.
11. Howlin’ Mercy (5:11)- A dark song the reflects the long-lasting trauma of abuse, difficult to hear, difficult to sing, sadly amongst us. Haunting and dark.
12. Messin’ Around (4:46) – Funky and upbeat, a song about the child in us all, letting go and messin’ around!